It was a little different day - more baseball, less genealogy on a Friday.
* Read email and blogs, updated the FGS and Best Of posts, and wrote Follow-up Friday - Helpful and Interesting Reader Comments, 23 August 2013.
* Worked in the 1861 Canadian Census on LAC for awhile, captured three records and saved them, along with the source information. Now I need to source them and add them to the database. I may do the same for the other census years too so that my sources are all to LAC (since it's free), but I'll try to add a link also.
* Gathered my cemetery stuff and went off to Mount Hope at 11 a.m. to find the gravestone for the Stephen-Hassard couple. Got a map at the office, found the gravesite relatively easily (5 minutes walking around trying to find names from the map), and took a bunch of pictures of the site, and then other graves in the Masonic section (the oldest section) of the cemetery. I may add them to Find A Grave if I feel up to it and the pictures are good enough.
* Home by 12:15 p.m. to watch the Little League game - the elimination game between Sammamish WA and Westport CT. These two teams fought their guts out - I have tremendous respect for the players, coaches and fans - excellent play, very few mistakes, good pitching. CT went ahead 5-2, then WA was up 12-5, then 13-6, 13-13 in the 6th inning, and CT won it 14-13 in the 7th. But WA almost pulled off a tremendous double-play - runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, ball hit to shortstop area, player tried to trap runner off third, runner from 2nd ran into the fielder (interference called), runner on 3rd went home, fielder threw to catcher for an out. Would have been out of the inning. But obstruction had been called, runner from 2nd out, runner from 3rd back to 3rd, still tied. Then CT got the winning hit. CT plays Chula Vista on Saturday for the US Championship, and winner of that goes to World Championship game on Sunday. I rooted for both teams today...I'll root for Chula on Saturday, and hope that Chula and Tijuana make the World game.
* The game lasted until 3:15 p.m., so online to write A Visit to Mount Hope Cemetery in San Diego. Also updated the FGS and Best posts.
* We left at 4:15 for shopping for clothes for Randy - I hate shopping for me, and it's worse with Linda along. We waste too much time. Due to my weight loss (25 pounds this year), my pants don't fit and I need a shorter belt. So three pairs of pants, two Hawaiian shirts, a belt - all on sale - later we went off to Lolita's for dinner, then to ColdStone for ice cream. I fear I added a pound or two tonight.
* Home by 6:45 p.m. to write the Surname Saturday post, then went in to watch the Padres game, read the paper, and then my book. Pads were behind 6-0 to Cubs before the firsto ut was made...looked like a give-up night for me. But the Pads scrambled pack, with a 3-run homer in the 4th, a 2-run triple in the 5th, a run in the 6th to tie, a homer in the 7th and another in the 8th, and we had an 8-6 win. Best comeback of the year. Great relief pitching and timely hitting. Pads now 58-70 on the season.
* Game over at 10:30 p.m., came in to write this post, check Facebook, and add to the DFS post. Bed time!
Genealogy today was 5.5 hours.