Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cruise Vacation - Day 12 (Monday, 21 May 2012)

The ship docked in Oslo at 7 a.m. We were up before 6 a.m. And went up for breakfast at 6:15 a.m. Back in the cabin, we gathered our carry-on stuff, and left at 7:15 a.m. for the Schooner Bar on Deck 6 to get off the ship with Group 4.

After a short wait, the group went down to Deck 1 to debark, gather our luggage, and find the bus to the Oslo airport. This was very disorganized – they had a list but didn't assign persons to a bus, and we stood in several lines but the baggage holds filled up and we were shunted to another. We finally got on the 5th bus to the airport, which left at 8:30 a.m. It got there just after 9 a.m.

At the airport, we checked in at British Airways, received our boarding passes, and then were told to wait until 11:20 a.m. For someone to escort us through security and take us to the gate with Linda in the wheelchair. We objected, and they brought a wheelchair for me to push so that we could shop and get to the gate early. The plane was on time, and we were off to London shortly after the 12 noon scheduled departure. We arrived in London at 1:30 p.m., and they had a wheelchair for Linda waiting, and we were escorted through the maze to immigration and security and then to the train to go to our gate for San Diego. We were able to do a little shopping too.

The British Airways flight to San Diego boarded and left on time, at 3:05 p.m. Linda had an empty seat next to her which was handy since the lady in the seat in front of her wanted to recline her seat which hindered Linda from moving. I finished my Stuart Woods book, ate dinner, and then tried to watch movies (none were worth watching) and TV (ditto) and eventually dozed off for an hour or two. We had a snack over Salt Lake City, and landed at San Diego on schedule at 6:15 p.m.

The immigration line was long, but we had our baggage and called Barbara at 7:05 p.m. She picked us up soon after, and we stopped in Chula Vista for a quick dinner at El Pollo Loco. Then we were home around 8:15 p.m.

I unpacked my suitcase, but Linda got in bed quickly. I turned on the computer, and read my 770 new email messages until 10 p.m. Then I went to bed. Whew.   

No comments: