Friday, March 14, 2008

Genealogy Journal - 03/14/08

Today was not a day of much genealogy research or effort because Lolo and her mother were here. I had breakfast (waffles and banana) and Disney Channel duty this morning - and finally handed her off at 9:30 a.m. - they went shopping. They left tonight after dinner - we hate to see her go because she is so much fun to be with, really a delight in all ways.

My genealogy efforts started with reading email and blogs using Bloglines during one of the Disney shows, and then after Lolo and her mom went shopping I posted "Rootsweb to be in Ancestry domain," which addressed the issue raised yesterday on many lists and blogs. Then I filled out the latest "New Ancestry" survey and answered my email about it, and then tested it for more than an hour. This time I captured several screens on the New Ancestry to be able to show how it works, and also captured screens for the same searches using Old Ancestry. I like Old Ancestry searches much better, frankly, at least at this point in time.

After lunch at home, I had to find more images on NEHGS so I did that and emailed them off. I searched on NEA for Russell Smith data (I think I did that previously ...). I decided to see what databases there are on NEA and was surprised to find so many useful ones. I knew they were there, but haven't really investigated them for a long time. NEHGS doesn't advertise them much - they could do a much better job, I think. Lolo came home, it was nap time and I came back to the computer at 4 p.m. and read email and blogs. Lolo woke up and we went off to dinner at Chick-fil-A - we met Linda and Tami there, they'd been shopping (big surprise, that!). Lolo and I shared a chocolate milk shake (you should see the big eyes when she is sucking on the straw!). Priceless. After we ate, she played about 30 minutes on the equipment with about 10 other kids.

When we got home, Tami packed up, Lolo gave hugs and kisses, and they left for home - we were immediately lonesome! I watched some of the SDSU-BYU basketball game (SDSU lost) and came back to the computer and puttered around for awhile. I found some Seaver data on the NEHGS site and entered it into the Seaver database. It's 9:45 p.m. and I'm done!

Genealogy today was 7.0 hours, of which 0.5 hour was reading email, 0.5 hour was reading blogs, 1.5 hour was writing my one blog post of the day, 1.0 hour was researching for colleagues, 2.0 hours was researching on the NEHGS site, and 1.5 hour was playing with New Ancestry.

No comments: