Saturday, September 20, 2008

Genealogy Journal - 09/20/08

I can never sleep well the night before I make a presentation. I often dream about the presentation and when I wake up I sometimes practice parts of it when I can't go back to sleep. Such was the case last night, and I'm tired tonight. And cranky. But I loved making family history with Audrey (5 months old) today.

I was up, fed and dressed by 7:45, so I was able to check my email and read blogs before I left at 8:10 for the CGSSD meeting. I was there by 8:45, and got setup as people trickled in for the 9 a.m. start. I set my "Genealogy is Fun(ny)!" presentation off at about 8:55 and folks watched it until we started the real class on "Computer Genealogy 101" at 9:10. I had 93 slides, and got through almost all of them by 10:15, when we broke for refreshments. There were "only" 17 attendees for my talk, which was disappointing. I put my laptop and things away, had a bite to eat, and came back for the DNA talk by Barbara Gosink. It was entertaining and informative - easily one of the best talks I've heard on the subject. I promised to send the CGSSD email list a PDF of all of my links from the talk so that they didn't have to write down the links as I quickly went through them. The folks didn't invite me to lunch, so I came home and ate my salami, choc chip cookies and seedless grapes. Sour grapes?

I no sooner got online reading emails and blogs and Facebook than Audrey woke up from her short nap and I fed her, changed her and put her back down at 1:45. She slept for three hours - grandpa has the magic touch! I was able to write the blog post about the CGSSD meeting before Linda brought Lolo home from swimming, and I spent much of the next two hours with Lolo trying to get her to nap. I didn't get one, she didn't either. Then Audrey woke up, and Tami and Linda took Lolo to drop her off at Abbie's house, and they went to get their nails done. Audrey and I watched the Padres game and communicated with each other (she's a great smiler, now) until 6:15 when they called to meet us at Panera for dinner. I got Audrey in the car seat and off we went for dinner. We brought Audrey home at 8:30, got her a bath, put her in her nightie and put her down after 9.

I read email, read blogs and checked Facebook, and decided that I had done enough genealogy today - and made some family history too.

Genealogy today was 6.0 hours - 0.5 hour doing email, 0.5 hour reading blogs, 0.5 hour on Facebook, 1.0 hour writing blog posts and 3.5 hours at CGSSD (not counting the driving). That's it.

No comments: