Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Genealogy Journal - 09/09/08

The day went really well - I was online all day until evening, my contractor worked well, I got a lot done, I had a breakthrough, and then the Dodgers spoiled it by beating my Pads 6-2. Oh well, pobody's nerfect, I guess.

I had my email and blogs read by the time Randy the contractor came at 8:30, and we moved the hide-a-bed couch out of the spare bedroom and into the driveway. This was a logistical challenge because it is barely narrow to get through the doorway (with the door off) standing on end, and is too tall for the doorway. We had to tilt it down, walk it through, tilt it up, and then carry it outside. Heavy sucker. I've been planning how to do this for about 20 years, and it worked perfectly. Oh, genealogy. I posted Family Photographs - Post 22: The Boys as a Smile for the Camera carnival candidate. I checked Facebook, then NothingButSoftware.com and wrote a post about FTM deals there. I wrote several blog posts on Randy's Busy Life, draining some of my email swamp and catching up on the Padres, then wrote three posts on the Chula Vista Genealogy Cafe too. It was lunchtime - salami, apple, cookies and pudding.

I needed to research and write up my Genealogy News of the Month for the CVGS Research Group meeting on Wednesday, so I did that for almost two hours. After checking on Randy's work and what we need to do next, I started revising my Computer Genealogy 101 presentation for 20 September. I spent two hours on this and made decent headway. Somehow I need to cram four hours of presentation into one hour. Good luck with that, eh? Before going in to watch TV, read the paper, eat dinner and water the plants, I checked my email and blogs.

After dinner, I came in at 6:10 p.m. wondering what to do. I decided to check the USGenWeb archives for my Project M guys, and did that for awhile. I entered my client's father's name in the Google News Archive Search and was rewarded with an obituary for one of my client's step-siblings. What a great surprise! I blogged about it in Google News Archive Search pays off. I took a screen capture, saved it as a JPG, and printed it off so that it was readable. Then it was time for the Padres game.

The game lasted until 10:20, and I came in and read my email and blogs, then checked Facebook and wrote this post.

Genealogy today was 7.5 hours - 0.5 hour doing email, 0.5 hour reading blogs, 1.5 hours writing blog posts, 0.5 hour on Facebook, 2.0 hours gathering Genie News, 2.0 hours on presentation, and 0.5 hour researching on Project M.

No comments: