Sunday, October 4, 2009

Genealogy Journal - 3-4 October 2009

There was precious little genealogy work done this weekend - I barely got the regular Saturday and Sunday posts out. Fortunately, I had the OASIS class preparation done late last week or I'd be up sh!t creek today.

* On Saturday, read email and blogs, and wrote Free Databases on, before going off to my men's Bible study breakfast at 8 a.m. Went to Costco afterwards and bought an HP Photosmart 6350 All-in_One printer/scanner/copier since my old HP 2355 crapped out on me last week. Got home by 10 a.m. and got it out of the box and on my desk.

* My brother and his wife stopped by at 10:30 a.m., and we had a nice visit, a good lunch at Oggi's, and when we got back we loaded the family Melodeon (we were told it was a Melodeon, it is a Harmonium, I think - smaller than a piano, but with piano-like keys, foot pedals and push-pull things) into his SUV. The Melodeon was bought by our Carringer great-grandparents in the 1920's, and my daughter took it when my mother died and we were trying to find a home for all the furniture. She needed the space, so my brother agreed to take it. It doesn't work, but is an interesting piece of furniture. They left at 2:30 p.m.

* I was late getting Saturday Night Genealogy Fun posted, but did it in a hurry and then set my sights on installing and making the new printer work. It took awhile but had no problems. Did some test prints, including some pictures.

* At 5 p.m., we left for our last Padres game of the year. Ate dinner at El Pollo Loco and got to Petco Park by 6:30 p.m. on the trolley. The Pads beat the Giants 2-0, and we were home by 10:30 p.m.

* Read email, blogs and Facebook before turning in.

Genealogy on Saturday was maybe 2.0 hours - 1.0 hour of reading email and blogs, and 1.0 hour of writing blog posts.

* On Sunday, read my email and blogs before church. There was a potluck lunch and children's program at church, so we didn't get home until 1:30 p.m.

* Wrote Best of the Genea-Blogs in a hurry, then started printing out my OASIS class handouts - went pretty fast because the new printer is faster. Used up all of the black ink provided in the box, though. Glad I bought more ink cartridges, but worried that this printer will eat more ink faster than the previous one - the cartridges are expensive.

* Went in to watch the Padres game and the NFL games, read the paper, and copied my genealogy files onto the laptop (this is a monthly process). Also installed FTM 2010 on the laptop and made it work. Padres lost 4-3 to Giants in 10 innings.

* Ate dinner while watching the Chargers game - Bolts lost 38-28 and it was a wipeout through three quarters (28-7). Damn team can't play run or pass defense well, and cannot run block at all. Very frustrating to have a team loaded with talent but not winners.

* Came in at 8:30 p.m. to read everything, copied updated OASIS class files to two flash drives and to the laptop so that I have backups on Monday if needed. Wrote a post for Monday morning just in case I'm busy...need to be at OASIS before 10 a.m. Wrote this post.

Genealogy on Sunday was 4.0 hours - 1.0 hour reading email and blogs, 1.5 hours writing blog posts, 1.0 hour on OASIS class handouts, and 0.5 hour loading FTM 2010 on the laptop.

No comments: