Friday, August 16, 2013

My Genealogy Days - 15 and 16 August 2013

I missed journaling last night because it was late when we got home from the Padres game.

1)  Thursday, 15 August:

*  Read email and blogs, wrote Treasure Chest Thursday - Post 177: Birth Certificate for Frederick W. Seaver (1911-1983) and then wrote TGF Message Board Discussions on GenealogyBank Copyright Issues and set it for late morning.  

*  Tried to see the Taylor chat at 9 a.m. and finally emailed to say it would start at 11 a.m.  I found it then, asked a couple of questions.  Not a big deal, wasted some time.

*  Wrote CVGS Research Group Summary - 14 August 2013 and CVGS Fall Seminar: Saturday, September 7th on "A Century of Service - A Genealogist's Perspective" and two more posts and had lunch.

*  Wrote Family Tree Magazine's "101 Best Websites for Genealogy in 2013" then answered some email but had to do some research to do it.  Added what I could to the database in the process.  Worked in the database almost all afternoon.  Checked Facebook and added to the Best Of post.

*  We left for the Padres game at 4:45 p.m., ate at the Tin Fish (Joe got new equipment) and were in our seats at Petco at 6:15 p.m.  I read the paper.  Padres lost 4-1 in a close game until the Mets scored late.  Home by 11:10 p.m.  I read and went to bed.

Genealogy this day was 7.0 hours.

2)  Friday, 16 August:

*  Read email and blogs, wrote Follow-Up Friday - This Week's Interesting and Helpful Reader Comments.  Answered more email and got the contest winner taken care of.  Watched the Little League World Series game - Chula Vista won 3-0 in 7 innings, a no-hitter.

*  Wrote Dallas Genealogical Society Writing Contest Deadline in 31 August 2013 and answered more email.  Wrote Roger the Watchdog is in the 1911 England Census.

*  Had a scary hour - when I started the laptop to get the presentation material on it and practice the talk, it wouldn't bring Windows up.  Hmmm.  Off and on several times.  Recalled that it shut down quickly (I thought) and I just closed the lid when I saw a dark screen - probably the dark screen just before it tells you not to shut it off because updates needed to load.  Drat, now what.  Got the old, slow laptop out and added the presentation to it, but it was so slow - 20 minutes to get it on and the files off the flash drive.  I had left the new laptop on (with a dark screen) and when I came back the Windows screen was on.  Put the presentation on that too, and shut it down again.  The updates added then.  I tried again tonight and it seems to work fine.  Whew, new laptop bullet dodged...

*  Went in at 5 p.m. to watch TV news, read the paper, and we ate dinner.  Online at 6 p.m. to work on the two Saturday blog posts.  Added to the Eclectica and Best Of posts.

*  Went in at 7:10 p.m. to watch the Padres game.  Read my book, then read email and blogs and Facebook on my iPhone.  Pads lost 5-2 to the Mets (now 2-10 since Cabrera and Quentin left, 54-68 overall, 40 to go.  Be lucky to win 70 at this rate).

*  Online at 10 p.m. to write this post, check Facebook and review the presentation one last time.

Genealogy this day was 7.5 hours.

No comments: