Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My non-genealogy days - 24 to 26 February 2013

Things were going along well on Sunday, until we got the phone call every father dreads..."he's going to the hospital, can you come up?" (it could be worse, of course, but this was bad enough).

Sunday, 24 February:

So after a fairly lazy Sunday ,which included checking into Scanfest but not scanning anything, noting that the Best of the Genea-Blogs - 17 to 23 February 2013 posted, writing CVGS Program on 27 February Features Hank Jones!, watching Daytona 500, adding content and sources to the database in the late afternoon and evening, the call came at 9:20 p.m.  We took our blankets but no other clothes, jumped in the car and were in H.B. by 11:15 p.m.  She let us sleep in her bed, and the girls were asleep in their room.

Monday, 25 February:

*  We all took the girls to school, then back to the house.  T. went off to check on J. at the hospital, and came home with good news - release in 3 days.  I had a short nap, and read my email, checked blogs and wrote a blog post - Amanuensis Monday - 1853 Deed of Samuel Vaux to Robert Bartlett in Aurora, N.Y.

*  Not much else during the day - I couldn't think of something to blog about and T. left for her class while we picked up the girls, stopped at Dollar Tree, then home to play and do homework, and out to dinner at Super Mex.  Home to get the girls bathed, into jammies, ready for bed ... and they had a little spat and wouldn't sleep in their rooms.  Drat.  Finally to sleep by 10 p.m. when T. came home.  I went to sleep...but wrote Tuesday's Tip - Check Out Randy's Genealogy Links before T. got home.

Tuesday, 26 February:

*  Up early for breakfast, T. took the girls to school and we left at 8:15 a.m. for home.  Got home at 10:05 a.m. to bring everything in, call the plumber for the bathroom problems, and settled in to read email and blogs, then wrote Top Ten Characteristics of a Good Genealogist.

*  Printed off the OASIS handout masters for copying, and edited the first class presentation for next Monday.

*  Copied BASH talks to Dropbox and Box, and got box going on the Old Photos.  It turns out that Box does not sync subfolders, only main folders.  Bummer.

*  Dozed off while reading Facebook at 2 p.m., and Linda came in and saw me slumped over and almost panicked.  Woke me up...

*  Worked in the database until the plumber came after 3 p.m.  Decided the sink fitting needed replacing and the toilet needed replacing.  He will do them on Wednesday.

*  Ate dinner, read the paper and watched TV, then online again at 6:30 p.m. to read, add to the Best Of post, and work in the database adding content and sources.  Nice to get back into the saddle again - missed it for one night!  Need to update the database on Dropbox.  Wrote this post.

*  box.com is still uploading the photo files - 1 mb every 5 seconds or so.  2 gb to go - it may take all night!

Genealogy today was 7.5 hours.

No comments: