Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Genealogy Journal - 03/31/09

2009 is one quarter completed, and I'm afraid that my progress on my research goals for 2009 is way behind schedule - I don't even want to see what I committed to! Today was a full genealogy day working on diverse projects.

After reading email and blogs, I posted Tombstone Tuesday - Ephraim Sawtell (1685-1768) - but he is not one of my guys - a distant great-grand uncle. Great stone, though! Checked in on Twitter and Facebook, got cleaned up, and came back to work on an April Fool gag, but couldn't find good graphics so won't due it. Also got hung up on OpenOffice trying to find where the slide layouts went. Checked the Help! menu and couldn't figure it out. The toolbars are messed up too - my own fault, I'm sure. I must have wasted two hours doing all of that. Answered some email on my delinquent list. If I would just do 3 a day I could burn it all down quickly! Had lunch - took a break and watched TV news.

Back at it at 12:30 p.m., I read email, blogs, and Twitter and found blog fodder in Working in RootsMagic 4 - Post 4B: Creating a Pedigree Chart after working with RootsMagic 4 for awhile. Linda came home at 2 pm. and the mattress delivery came soon after - took longer to put the sheets on it than to set it up! My editor emailed and asked me to make some corrections to my article, so I did. Easy fixes. Thought about what to do for my ProGen Part 2 assignment - finally decided on a research plan, so wrote it up and sent both parts off to my study group. Dinner time... then watched SDSU lose their NIT game.

Came back to the computer at about 6:15 p.m., and read email, blogs, Twitter and Facebook. Researched, captured screens and wrote Footnote.com - Finding a Specific RevWar Pension File. Got the laptop out to compare OpenOffice toolbars and found my problem - had made the toolbars text rather than icons and had squeezed the Slide Layouts off the right margin! Fixed. cool. Now I can work on my presentation for 4/25, which I did for several hours. Got most of the planning done, just need to add some images and some results, then conclusions and I'm done. Until I change it, of course! Then this post, and I'm done for tonight - maybe I'll back stuff up to the external hard drive tonight.

Genealogy today was 11.0 hours - 0.5 hour doing email, 0.5 hour reading blogs, 0.5 hour on Twitter/Facebook, 2.5 hours writing blog posts, 0.5 hour on my FORUM column, 1.0 hour in RootsMagic, 1.0 hour in Footnote, 1.0 hour in OpenOffice trying to figure out my problems, 1.5 hours on my ProGen homework, and 2.0 hours on my 4/25 presentation.

No comments: